Sailors have feared the open coast of Jæren over the centuries.
As part a national plan for a safer Norwegian coast, Obrestad lighthouse was built in 1873. In 1982 it was automatized and the lighthouse has been unmanned since 1991. Today it is a protected building that functions as a museum which is owned and maintained by Hå municipality
The complex consists of five buildings: the main lighthouse building (1873), two lighthouse keeper’s homes (1902 and 1949), a large detached house (1969) and an outhouse with workshop facilities..
The original lighthouse building is built of granite. A small tower was originally installed in the west gable toward the sea. However, the entire lighthouse facilities were used as part of the German’s coastal defence system and the German occupation forces in WWII built a lookout post on the east gable. After the war, the original light was mounted in the east tower and the outline of the original tower are still visible on the western fasade. Reminders of the war abundant throughout the area. Obrestad Lighthouse also has served a weather station since 1918.
Its is possible to rent all of the buildings for weekend stays or longer holidays. Please contact Hå gamle prestegard for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The surrounding landscape
Obrestad Lighthouse is located near by the Old Vicarage at Hå. Further south of the Lighthouse is Obrestad harbour, a small harbour still in use, built in 1874 and now under a preservation order. During the second world war Obrestad harbour was a vital link to England for the Norwegian resistance movement.
The ancient “King’s Highway” is a popular footpath, it heads south along the coast from the Vicarage and the Lighthouse, passing the 18th century Grødaland Farm (Hå Village Museum) and the Old Cemetary at Varhaug.
The belt of glacial rounded stones surrounding the Vicarage contains one of the largest and finest Migration Period (Viking) burial sites in Scandinavia.